If you have a boat registered in a state other than New Hampshire, an Out-of-State Boater Decal is Required.
New Hampshire DES

New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Out-of-State Decal

Visiting NH with your Motorboat? An Out of State Boater Decal is required

On July 1, 2019, a new law (RSA 487:43) went into effect, requiring all persons operating a motorboat that is registered in another state (other than New Hampshire) on New Hampshire public waters, to display a New Hampshire aquatic invasive species decal from the Department of Environmental Services. A motorboat means a watercraft of any size equipped with propelling machinery, whether or not the machinery is the principal source of propulsion.

Plan some fun


Purchase your out-of-state boater decal online.
Decals are $20, and expire on December 31st in of the year of purchase.

Things To Know

Decals should be placed on the port side of the vessel.

Once you purchase and receive your decal(s) in the mail, they must be displayed within 3 inches of a boat's valid registration decal. Decals should be placed on the port side of the vessel.


Failure to purchase or display the New Hampshire aquatic invasive species decal in accordance with this section shall be a violation. For purposes of this section, the boat operator shall have 48 hours to demonstrate compliance with this section. The boat operator may present proof of purchase with a valid transaction date as proof of compliance (such as an electronic receipt for the purchase of decal(s)). Any person who violates this section shall be guilty of a violation punishable by a fine of $50 for a first offense, $100 for a second offense, and $250 for any subsequent offense.